March 25, 2013

The World According to Charlotte parts 5-6

Part 5.  Time outs are lonely and cold.  Late this morning Charlotte and I were in the backyard taking our own sweet time getting to the car to run some errands.  During that time she slipped and fell.  It was nothing to serious, but enough to make her cry for about 30 seconds.  I was up on the deck and she was by the garage when she fell so it took me about ten or 15 seconds to get to her.  As I was putting her in the car, she had totally recovered and was happily debriefing everything that happened.

"I fall down.  I crying.  I was in time out."

Okay, I guess it had three of the key of the components of a time out: crying, not being on two feet, and isolation. I guess in Charlotte's world is what a time out is.

Part 6.  More shape changing wizardry.  This time it's not a person changing form, but the common hair bow.  One evening a few weeks ago, I was getting Charlotte ready for bed and she kept talking about a crocodile.  I could not figure out what she was talking about, until she finally pointed to a hair bow that was next to her on the changing table.  Emily has since told me there are hair thingies called alligator clips, although we have yet to use talk about these clips.

It turns out, these magical hair bows are crocodiles when they are lying dormant or just picked up, and then transformed into "airplanes" when you pick them up to them in her hair, and then are back to being bows when  they are in her hair.  No word yet if Suze is on the bows when they are airplanes.  I hope not, because then my mind would explode.  It will take more than Marty McFly to explain that one... maybe Rick Moranis' charachter from Honey I Shrunk the Kids would also have to be drafted.













Crocodiles, airplanes, and bows.  I could use this story with the students I see who have language disorders.  Context is everything in interpreting meanings of words, I tell them. Understanding and applying that is something they are always working on.  Nice to see Charlotte is off to a good start in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment