March 26, 2013

The World According to Charlotte, part 7

"Come to think of it, I'll just have water."


Emily bought Charlotte and me a gift card to Smashburger for Christmas.  And our first trip there in January on the gift card resulted in this compelling conversation.  Today we went back again and used up the rest of the money on the card.  

Two months later, the "Smashburgerrrrrrr" conversation is about the same, only it begins earlier, on the way to the restaurant in the car.  Every two minutes Charlotte would blurt out "Smashburgerrrrrrrr."  And you know how people can say something and you have no idea how to reply in any way that is remotely meaningful? Well it turns out "Smashburgerrrrrr" is one of those instances.  Luckily things got more interesting.

But it started out as it usually does with Charlotte.  We got there and she was doing the same thing: labeling everything.  I think she does this when she is really excited about something and doesn't know how to express it other than point out every detail she sees.  My theory is that Charlotte is bathed in excitement and happiness, and it spills over to color even the smallest detail in her surroundings and enhances everything she is experiencing.  Even the wrapper the straw came in is so absurdly awesome it has to be pointed out.  There is something to be said for that.  Suck it, cynicism.

So when Charlotte's milk arrived, she thought MILK!!!  I'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT MILK AT SMASHBURGER FOR THE LAST TWENTY MINUTES AND NOW IT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.... IN A SMASHBURGER, NO LESS!!!!  THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!  

But that enthusiasm comes out sideways, and less direct and more slowly for Charlotte.  Instead, in Charlotte's world, this just means it's time to talk about our beverages, and point out who has what.  I had a Coke, which I drink maybe ten times a year, tops.  And Charlotte took note.

"This is a Charlotte's milk.  That a daddy's black water."  

Black water?  Gross.

Well that took away any ounce of enjoyment I was going to get from my Coke.  And to really drive the point home, Charlotte's new thing now is to sing about two things back and forth.  She is really into opposites right now and they also sing a "clean and sort" song at Montesorri.  

So in the spirit of "clean and sort" she will sign songs like.... I don't know, of the top of my head.... "Milk!  Black water.  Black water.  Black water.  Milk!  Black water.  Black water.  Black water."

This only lasted about thirty seconds.  But even so, I think I am done with Cokes for the year.  It was a perfect public health PSA.  Well done young lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment