March 26, 2013

Overheard, Exhibit F

Emily is in Washington DC with her sister until tomorrow.  A couple of times on Saturday Charlotte said, "Mommy working."  So I explained to her that Emily was actually in Washington D.C.  She found this explanation to be as acceptable as I do when someone explains something to me over my head but I know to take them at their word (theory of relativity anyone?).

The final step to Charlotte's bedtime routine is to run to the top of the stairs and shout "Night night Mommy!" So Saturday night she did that out of habit and I reminded her that Emily was in DC and she said, "Oh" kind of like how I would say "Oh" if someone told me that time and space are relative.

Since then, Charlotte has been true to her routine but notes her mom's absence.  She will typically shout night night to whatever animal is not in the room with us or when my friend Nathan was over Sunday night, she just shouted at him.

But today for her afternoon nap she ran to the top of the stairs and shouted, "Night night Mommy Washington DC!" And then as she was walking to her crib she said, "Mommy go on trip.  Mommy on a airplane."

Huh.  Well, if she can piece that together, maybe I can piece this together afterall.

















Nope.  I just watched it a few times and was like, "Whatever" after about 40 seconds.  Good to know that Charlotte is not "whatever" about Emily, and is trying to sort out where her mom is.

No comments:

Post a Comment