February 12, 2013

Conversations with Charlotte #123789, #12, #839, #5621, #21189, #512123, #318...

It's been, oh I don't know, 30 years since I wrote a computer program.  But I still have some mad BASIC skills from my Vic-20, TRS-80, and Apple II days.  Everyday I pick up Charlotte from daycare and we walk towards the car, the same conversation will inevitably break out.  It is equally predictable, repetitive, and basic.  So basic a ten year old with a Commodore 64 could write a program for it.  Today I was curious how often the back and forth would go before Charlotte would change the subject.  The answer is twelve.  Around eight or nine I began to fear it would be an endless loop.

10 PRINT "Charlotte: HI DADDY"

20 PRINT "Charlotte: THAT A" [whatever you see right in front of Charlotte]

30 IF ACTION = WALKING TOWARDS DADDY'S CAR THEN GOTO 50

40 GOTO 20

50 a = 1

60 PRINT "Charlotte: THAT A CHARLOTTE'S CAR"

70 PRINT "Michael: IT'S ACTUALLY DADDY'S CAR."

80 a = a+1

90 IF a = 12 THEN GOTO 110

100 GOTO 60

110 PRINT "Charlotte: DADDY HAVE A HAT ON."

120 PRINT "Charlotte: DADDY HAVE A GLASSES ON."

130 END

1 comment: