February 17, 2013

Charlotte Gets Involved In Neighborhood Debate

A few weeks ago, to much fanfare, a new restaurant opened in our neighborhood, The Blue Door.  I'm excited but have yet to go because part of the Blue Door experience (there is one in St. Paul) is waiting for 45 minutes for your table.  Great for having a beer and catching up with your friend  while you wait for a table, not so great for taking your toddler out for a quick bite.

So while I haven't been yet, I am no stranger to the debate it has sparked among Longfellow residents.  The restaurant is surrounded by houses and no business is within a block or two, so the residents nearby are griping about having a bar and restaurant next to their house and a school.  There is no parking lot yet the Blue Door was able to skirt this regulation, to the dismay of those who live on the block and will have to contend with cars parking on their block.  The owner of the nearby wine bar and coffee shop has also lobbied against the Blue Door coming to Longfellow.

But beer and hamburgers won out.  The place is crazy popular.  A new four way stop sign is now by the restaurant.  And suddenly there is a stretch of 42nd Avenue packed with parked cars.

On Saturday, Charlotte and I were driving down 42nd around lunchtime and she was chattering away about produce and then saying, "I think so.... I don't think so.... I think so.... I don't think so."  As an aside, I had to keep from laughing because the whole "I don't think so" bit Charlotte was saying reminded me of Fred Willard from the only funny scene from A Mighty Wind.



But I digress.

Charlotte was mid-"I don't think so" when we drove by the Blue Door and she burst out, "Lots and lots of cars!  So many cars!  Beep beep!  So many cars!"

Count Charlotte among the Longfellow residents who thinks the Blue Door is bringing too much unwanted traffic and street parking to our quiet neighborhood.  Meanwhile I am stoked the Blue Door is here.  I assume this is the only time Charlotte and I will fail to see eye to eye on anything, ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment