I had a meeting at work this afternoon that turned into this evening. I got home and Charlotte had already eaten dinner, so I assumed she was ready for her post-dinner relaxation routine... hanging out in the living room and playing with whatever her favorite toys of the 36 hour interval are. But then out-of-the-blueshe put her hat on and said, you guessed it. "hat on. hat on." Only to be followed by "jacket on. Charlotte jacket on? Daddy put jacket on?"
Crap I thought, she wants to go for a walk. It's freezing. She hasn't asked for a night walk ever, until today. But I have been talking to Emily about going on night walks with Charlotte to see the Christmas lights and I am pretty sure Charlotte overheard.
So Charlotte and I got Pancho and went out to see our neighbor Greg's lights. I thought that would suffice, but no, Charlotte wanted to make like Ernest Shackleton and explore the whole block in the freezing cold.
When we got to Marys' house on the corner of 45th ave and 42nd street Charlotte stopped for awhile (big shocker there) to stare at Mary's lit-up manger scene. She pointed at the plastic Mary (the Virgin one, not our neighbor Mary) who was holding baby Jesus and said, "Baby!" And from there we had our longest back and forth yet. Resevior Dogs it ain't, but our conversation went a little like this....
Me: Yep. That is a baby. His name is Jesus.
Charlotte: Polar bear. Roooooooar!
Me: No, that is a sheep.
Charlotte: Baaaaa.
Me: That is indeed what a sheep says.
Charlotte: Baby sleeping.
Me: You best be quiet. You don't want to wake up Jesus and get his dad angry.
Charlotte: Quiet. Night night baby.
Me: Good night Baby Jesus.
Charlotte: Wheres a crib?
Me: They're in a manger. They have no room for a bed..... or crib."
Charlotte: No crib.
No comments:
Post a Comment