July 11, 2012

Happy Birthday Us!
















Our anniverary celebration could be something out of Gift of the Magi as the money tree is pretty light right now.  Luckily I have no hair and no fancy watch, which means I can't be either charachter in the story, making a literal recreation of the story impossible.  But as spartan as our anniversary will be, it should still be marked.



It used to be that the highlight of my day was seeing Emily when I got home from a long workday.  But things change in nine years and that really isn't true anymore.  Instead it's when Emily and Charlotte come down in the morning together and say good morning to me.

I am both a night owl and a morning person and Emily is neither.  Charlotte is following in her footsteps.  So Emily ends up waking up when Charlotte does.  Sleep is a thief so I have already been up for awhile, probably got my morning run in, and am working on breakfast.  And it's pretty great to see those two ladies come into the kitchen and we are all happy to see one another.

Of course this blog post is nothing more than a time stamp and these casual happy mornings will change as our family evolves, Charlotte grows, and life's demands change.  But moments like these, no matter the shape, form, or context, will be omnipresent and will reinforce to me just how happy I am to be with Emily and that we can work through anything.  I don't need an anniversary to remind of that.  But on days like today I am reminded of the end of a song called "Babe," by a husband and wife band called Blue Mountain out of Oxford, MS, who I think hung up their guitars years ago.

One time, like in 1997, I went to their show at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis and my friends and I got there an hour before the doors opened but the bartender let us in anyway.  My friends and I got to have a beer and watch the band warm up while the husband and wife's black lab ran around the bar.  A marraige almost as awesome as an Epidemiologist married to a Speech Language Pathologist.  It was pretty cool.  But I digress.

"And when your hair turns blue
I wanna rock out on the porch with you
Look at the kids, they're wizzing by
Looking for a thrill
God knows we're not perfect yet
One things for sure I got no regrets,
Let's stay together for ever and ever,
Come on and say you will."

-Blue Mountain



1 comment: