- Emily is now driving which means she is no longer living in the hospital. We are still here quite a bit of course, so we can help with feedings and the other cares.
- Charlotte continues to do well and is steadily gaining weight and eating more and more on her own.
- Pancho had diarrhea.
- Emily still doesn't like the cats.
- One day in the NICU there were no other parents there. Just us and the nurses which is rare. We overheard some funny conversations from the staff. One nurse told the baby she was taking care of, "I'm going to wake you up and shove this up your butt" (she was talking about giving a baby a suppository). Later the nurses were talking about the same baby who, as ordered by the doctor, had to sleep on her belly. So they discussed if you can poop while laying on your belly and one nurse was quick to point out, "I have no experience with that." That got a good laugh from everyone.
- Charlotte is awake a lot more. She even was alert for a whole hour with me as I held her. That was pretty cool.
- She stuck her tongue out for the first time today which is probably interesting to the co-authors of this blog.
- She passed her sensorineural hearing screening. I just had to throw in the sensorineural part to justify the two audiology classes I had to take in grad school.
- We made a Target to run to buy all the baby supplies most people have BEFORE the baby is born.
- One of my favorite 30 minutes of my life was a few nights ago when I swear Charlotte was looking right into my eyes when I spoke to her. I know this is common for all parents and usually happens on day one. But for us, it has come on day 15, and I am not 100% certain she was responding to my voice. Even so, the possibility that she was is pretty freaking awesome.
- My friends John, Steve, Jen, Ashley, and Greg pitched in on bought us groceries online to be delivered from our house. The kicker? They live either in Kentucky, Texas, or Colorado. Virtual shopping. Pretty awesome and much love to those five elitist bastards.
Charlotte will probably be here another week or two. She has to get strong enough to sit in a car seat for two hours (they test her here in the hospital) and get 100% of her nutrition orally. We're not there yet and continue to go one day at a time.
Your negative three-week-old baby is ahead of my my babies. They still just look all around when I'm talking. Look at me when I'm talking to you!!!
ReplyDeleteI'll try the pooping on my stomach thing out for you and let you know how it works.
ReplyDelete