November 13, 2012

A Video Only a Physical Therapist Would Find Interesting

.... or someone whose daughter is in physcial therapy.

From a gross motor standpoint, there is A LOT of cool progress in this video.  Walking on uneven surfaces easily.  Going up and down steep stairs with one hand only on the railing.  The general ease with which she is moving.  Other things that are even less interesting.



We are still in physical therapy but Charlotte has progressed to the point that this Friday she has to try new things for the first time since we started.  Specifically she has to work on balancing on one leg.  I am here to tell you that she will not be stoked about this.
 

2 comments:

  1. What?! My 4 1/2 year-old can't stand on one leg. So not only do I have to help him gain this skill, I should be working on this with my 2 year-old? The pressure starts so young.....

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi, I meant to ask the PT yesterday about this, but forgot. I will ask next time we go. I think the standing on one leg bit is just a way to get her to strengthen her core and one side of her body. The stakes are a lot higher for Charlotte because she is hypotonic, so working on skills is a means to an end; the actual skill acquisition is not as important. Her right side of her body, at least in the legs, is a lot stronger than her left. According to the PT everyone has a stronger side (I know I do) but for Charlotte this creates a problem that it doesn't for other toddlers who aren't hypotonic. So she will always go up stairs leading with her right foor and down the stairs leading with her left.*

    When I try to get her to lead with her left going up she gets really annoyed but deals with it without melting down and I can really see just how much weaker she is on that side. I doubt you'd have those issues with your boys.

    * I should say she ALMOST always leads with her right. Thanks to PT and the work we are doing at home, occasionally she will lead with her left going up stairs.

    ReplyDelete