September 09, 2012

Boomtown

Charlotte is undergoing another little language growth spurt.  It's kind of neat.  Her expressive vocabulary is really exploding and every day I hear at least one new word out of her.  And today I heard her first four word phrase.  For the last week or so, when Charlotte is in the car, she will say "push button" or something to that effect right when we turn into the alley.  She is anticipating when I push the garage door opener.  So today she said, "Daddy push the button."

What's kind of interesting is while she is using three word phrases and all sorts of novel two word combinations, she has these little artifacts from almost a year ago when she was using single words exclusively.  For example, she still uses the word "table" to mean sitting in something that she needs help getting into, be it a seat at the table, a stroller, her Burley, or when she puts her doll into one of these things.  She has so many ways to explain this, including "chair," "help," "stroller," "sit," and the ability to combine these words.  Yet she doesn't need to.  "Table" is actually a much more efficient and specific to express this sentiment, so it makes sense that she is still doing it.   But I'm stlil kind of surprised to see her still using the word this way.

And on the gross motor front we were goofing around during our post-dinner walk and she walked backwards intentionally for the first time.  It was fun to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment