November 21, 2011

Wordsmith

Another day, another word.  A very exciting time for me.  Today Charlotte said "Ziggy" quite a few times.  It turns out Charlotte loves early 80s comic characters.  We expect by the end of the week she'll be saying "Broom Hilda," "Odie," "Cathy," "Dagwood," and "The Lockhorns."


Actually, Charlotte's babysitter has a 15 month old girl named Ziggy and Charlotte was calling her by name today.  So that's where "Ziggy" really came from.  It's really quite a contrast to see Charlotte and Ziggy together.  Charlotte is this giant quasi-mobile ent and Ziggy is this little tiny spry, highly mobile baby, like Golem, only, you know, cuter.  Charlotte may be the first baby to pass her clothes onto a baby who is OLDER than she is.   In the meantime, they really do enjoy each other's company, and show it by squealing at each very loudly.  I bet that never gets old for our babysitter.

But really, Charlotte's favorite word is "hi."  She uses it appropriately, as she crawls or butt-hops her way over to you, saying "hi" until you say "hi" back.  It's pretty cool.  Unfortunately, she really doesn't have any conversational skills after that so she just wants the two of us to keep saying "hi" back and forth for awhile.  While she is happy as can be about all this, I'm looking for ways we can move this conversation forward.   She needs to work on diversifying her conversational content, that's for sure.

As Charlotte's language is developing, so is her sense of humor.  She thinks it's hilarious to feed me or give me the bottle and act like I'm drinking it.  See you at Second City.  

Today she had this clear tupperware type lid.  I would put it up to my face and go up to her so we'd be face to face with the plastic between us.  She thought that was the funniest thing ever.  Hopefully her sense of humor will evolve, but for now it is fun to see her laugh so wholeheartedly and unconditionally.

2 comments:

  1. at music class on Sunday she was rolling around on the floor saying hi over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning when I dropped her off at her babysitter, as I walked up to open her door to get her out of the car, I could see her smiling and saying "hi" to me over and over. But the door wasn't open yet, so we could only see each other, and not hear each other. Of course she hasn't figured that out yet. It was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete