October 18, 2014

MusicJam 2014

 The only CDs I have bought over the past four years have been for Charlotte. In the meantime, of course, all of my music purchases have been digital if I bother straying from Spotify. And I'm not sure why I allowed this to happen other than the inertia of laziness. Each time I put on a CD for Charlotte she either wants the CD case or the book that came with the music, so she can really absorb all of it. And she makes a point to not turn the page to the next song until that song starts.

And of course I grew up listening to music the exact same way. But now, like any adult with two kids and a demanding job, the thought of putting on a CD on and actively listening to it seems trivial and too time consuming. So instead I listen to music when I run (I mean jog) or maybe when I am in the kitchen occasionally. But then I am not in the moment. I am not absorbed in my running (I mean jogging) and I am certainly not getting lost in the music the way I used to or the way Charlotte does now.

Anyway this afternoon I walked into the kitchen and saw Charlotte just standing there staring at the cover of the CD I put on. And then she went to a table and each time a new song came on, asked me to come over and talk to her about the picture, what it said, and what the song was about. And I was able to sneak in a few pictures of it all, as you can see below.

She has been doing this for her entire life. I've always admired her for this, and reminisced privately to myself. But today I was inspired. This weekend life is slowing down just a pinch as we have been homebound over the MEA break (Charlotte had pink eye which only inspired the vomit reflex). But it made me realize I need to get back to my old relationship with music. Get to more shows. And get the Electric Fetus and really contemplate the CDs I am going to buy and drive home with anticipation about listening to them. If I was truly old school I'd be talking about vinyl. But CDs vs. vinyls for me is a distinction without a difference (I know this is sacrilege for some of you to read). What I want back is the process and contemplation that goes with buying CDs and vinyl. Maybe that means what I really want is my youth back and its simpler life, but I don't think so. If I have time for the Royals vs. Giants, I have time to listen to music the way I used to.



No comments:

Post a Comment