Charlotte has an ongoing monologue in the backseat of the car, which I don't always tune into. But she really wanted me to hear what she had to say about her cousin Hannah on the way to school today. Obviously it is not verbatim since I can't recall exactly what she said, and she kept going on and on and on, as is her wont. But this is a pretty accurate representation of HannahJam 2014.
"Hannah is in Texas. She's my friend and my cousin. She's both at the same time. Hannah loves me and I love her. Hannah made me a bracelet for Christmas because she loves me and I wear it because I love her. We were playing and running in Texas and she is a really good runner. She's fast like this (insert hand motion and sound effects). I'm a good runner too but Hannah is a really good jumper and I'm not a good jumper. I'm too little to be a good jumper like Hannah. I do little hurdles in the living room and Hannah does big hurdles and some of the big kids fall over on the hurdles but Hannah does not."
So, clearly Charlotte's ability to compare and contrast is emerging appropriately.
And then when we were driving home, again Charlotte started up with Hannah. It took awhile for me to figure out what she was talking about because, for me, she was talking about such an obscure memory: an errand, but with family. This time Charlotte wanted to talk about when Charlotte, Beth, and I went to pick up Hannah after track practice over Spring Break.
And then it hit me, both times Charlotte was talking about Hannah was when we went by the Minnehaha Academy track, which clearly made her think of Hannah. So if Charlotte does get pushed into running and people want to think it was her daddy pressuring her into the sport, remember this post: Charlotte is looking up to Hannah the Track Star as a role model, not her Has Been/Never Was Dad.
And for the record, Calvin and Sophia DO get equal play in Charlotte's monologues. I just haven't happened to have free time to post them on the same day they occur, and then whatever was said is lost in my cluttered brain, or, more accurately, it never stuck.
No comments:
Post a Comment