March 02, 2014

Battle of the Bands: How to Raise a Texasotan

Every morning Charlotte asks to hear music on the way to Montessori.  Specifically she asks to hear James McMurtry.  If the radio is on Charlotte will say, "I don't want to hear Mommy's music.  I want to hear Daddy's music.  I want to hear James McMurtry."  Truth be told, I would love to move on from these CDs but I am always going to indulge Charlotte in this context.

And then she will ask what every song is about which is illuminating in that pretty much every song that dude sings is tinged with some cocktail of unrest, depression, and emptiness.  Welcome to life Charlotte.

But Charlotte is getting a healthy dose of Music Appreciation 101 from Emily as well.  Friday night Charlotte was dancing to Prince on Emily's iPod.  Later that evening right around bedtime, Charlotte told me out of the blue, "I like Prince.  He makes me happy."  The ying to the erudite Mr. McMurtry's yang.

And then at dinner tonight we had The Current local show playing in the background and some upbeat song with a distinct Minneapolis sound/beat was going on and Charlotte lit up and said, "This is Prince!"  It wasn't, but she picked up on the familiar bass line and well, what can I say, she is going to be a Minneapolis girl through and through.

And this is a good thing.

1 comment: