June 04, 2013

And So It Begins

In the spirit of the Spurs pending finals matchup against the Miami Heat, this video seemed fitting.  It appears that Tim Duncan just discovered he has arms.  Well, Charlotte has made a similar powerful yet simple discovery: the combination of "what's" with "that" yields amazing influence over conversations and parents.  I am happy to indulge her, even if I know she knows the answer.

It's only fair.  Whenever we look at books, we both know I am often asking her wh- questions that I know she knows the answer to.  So it stands to reason that she can, in turn, ask me "what's that" questions, even if we both know that she knows the answer.

Wow there was a lot of theory of mind going on in that last paragraph.  I'm glad I'm not reading this post to Charlotte out loud because then she'd ask me "what's that" about theory of mind, and I'd feel obligated to explain it to her in a way she'd understand.  In the meantime, you can imagine what the bulk of our conversations have been like lately.  A lot of her asking me "what's that" and a lot of me trying to find a short honest answer.

I had no problem working around these questions when I was working with kids Charlotte's age.  Funny how the rules change when it's your own flesh and blood, in terms of what you let go and work around and what you don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment